Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Swimming and Pool Exercises Help Fibromyalgia

I just got back from a vacation where I had access to an indoor swimming pool. I was able to do basic exercises in the water and swim each morning after breakfast. I found that I did really well on this trip because of that.

I had done exercises in a local motel pool for a while, and it helped too when I did them. I cannot do aerobic exercises though as they go much too fast and too many repetitions. I have found if I can do the exercises at my own pace and no more than 10 repetitions at one time that I can do much better. Otherwise, I hurt for a week.

The problem with fibromyalgia is that exercise is good for you, but if you do too much too fast, it hurts your muscles and makes you ache for so long that you lose the benefit of the exercise and don't want to do it again.

But when I can control the speed and the type of exercise in the water, I can get the badly needed exercise and not hurt afterwards. Yea!

Now I need to figure out a way to do it more often now that I am back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment